Erev Shabbos 3/20/20 - Lecha Dodi Likrat Kalah (Come my Beloved to Greet the Bride)

It's early Friday morning. It is still dark out. For now, the house is quiet. Coffee is brewing and I have a quiet moment to spiritually breathe. It has been a long time since I have looked forward to Shabbat as much as I have this week.  It has been a trying, difficult week for the world. For me, I have conducted 9 funerals over the past 11 days. 9 different lives, 9 different narratives, 9 families grieving for the loss of a loved one. My wife, sensing that I needed to see or experience something happy, hopeful and life-affirming showed me a very unique wedding that happened "down south" on the Lawrence& Bathurst section of Toronto. A wedding, in this environment? Yet there it was. With neighbors standing on their porches, and cars lined up in the streets, there were perhaps 15 people outside, practicing social distancing  and parents walked their daughter down the sidewalk on to their driveway, there was a chuppa and there was a Chata. They stood there and a wedding ceremony took place. There it was a Kala (a bride)  walking towards her Chatan re-affirming a covenant.

Tonight, when I am davening Kabbalat Shabbat, and I begin singing  Lecha Dodi and welcome the Shabbat Kalah, the Shabbos Bride, I look forward to a wave of relief having arrived at a sacred moment. Certainly, it is a moment, a Shabbat that will be very different than what we are accustomed to. Nonetheless, the Shabbos bride will be with us for 25 hours and for that time, we have it within us to take a step back, to recharge ourselves: our souls, and our minds for one day as we prepare for this very different world. Everyone should have a Shabbat Shalom U'Mevorach - a Peaceful and Blessed Shabbat.
Peace,
Rav Yitz

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4/5/20 Sunday: Normal? What Normal?

4/12/20 Sunday: Trying to Remember Afraid To Forget

Rosh Chodesh: "Or ask for the moon and heaven too" (Robert Hunter & Jerry Garcia - If I Had The World To Give)