Finding Mercy amid Strict Justice

              We are only on day 8 of this new reality. Thankfully we are all healthy, yet as we live with social distancing; it seems like this has been going on for weeks. While we were watching the news, my wife innocently asked how long do I think this will continue. I think that this will continue through the summer and into the fall.  I'm the one in the family that "prepares for the worst and hopes for the best".  Our kids asked me if they thought they would be back in school. I told them that colleges and universities have started to cancel their graduation ceremonies. No, they aren't returning to school. I suggested that they prepare for the possibility of no summer camp.  Needless I didn't win any popularity contests. I can't watch the news without wincing at the numbers when we watch the news, It is hard not to wince when we hear about the impending shortages of masks, gowns, and ventilators. With my sister and her family in New York City, it's hard not to wince when it seems that this pandemic will explode out of control. It's hard not to wince when I hear about medical models and predictions about the vast numbers who will become infected and eventually succumb to this. At times when it's still early in the morning and everyone is still sleeping, and it's just me, a cup of coffee and it's still dark, I am most fearful. I worry about my mother in law who is in San Francisco. I worry about my wife's sister and her family in L.A. I worry about my parents in Rochester, I worry about my sister and her family in New York and I worry about our eldest daughter in Boston.  Amid all the worrying, and then I put on my tefillin and I pray. I go a bit slower, I think a little more about the words that I am saying and their relevance. One of the prayers that we say occurs towards the beginning of the service. Actually, it marks the beginning of the section known as Pseukei D' Zimrah, which literally means biblical verses of praise for God. This section begins with a blessing entitle Baruch Sh'Amar. Baruch MeRacheim Al Ha'Aretz Baruch MeRachem Al Ha' Briot- Blessed is He Who has mercy on the earth; Blessed is He Who has mercy on his creatures. Certainly, the author of the prayer reminds us that the purpose of God's creation is to demonstrate the quality of mercy. Mercy is something that occurs after judgment. Mercy suggests that punishment has been mitigated, that a sentence has been commuted.  Yes, I know that this is a virus and I know that science will lead to a vaccine and eventually this will be finished. However, early in the morning, while it's still dark outside,  and I am more attune to the spiritual than the scientific,  I worry about my family. At that time of the morning solace and comfort don't necessarily come from science but rather from prayer and psalms. I think about the words those words: Baruch Sh'Amar. Baruch MeRacheim Al Ha'Aretz Baruch MeRachem Al Ha' BriotBlessed is He Who has mercy on the earth; Blessed is He Who has mercy on his creatures. Yet, I continue to prepare for the worst and pray for the best.

Peace,
Rav Yitz  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4/5/20 Sunday: Normal? What Normal?

4/12/20 Sunday: Trying to Remember Afraid To Forget

4/14/20 Tuesday: Eat Sleep Pray ; Hope Memory Freedom